FACTORY SEALED 1998 President's Choice CP 2-6-0 Camelback Express Limited Edition Train Set HO Scale
FACTORY SEALED 1998 President's Choice CP 2-6-0 Camelback Express Limited Edition Train Set
Sold only in Canadian grocery stores, the eleven Limited Edition HO Scale Train Sets introduced by the President's Choice Company each Christmas from 1992 through 2005 (they skipped a couple of years) are some of the most rare and intriguing ever offered. President's Choice was, and is to this day, the supplier of a full line of private label President's Choice (PC) products to many grocery stores throughout the Western, Central and Atlantic Regions of Canada. What madness prompted PC not only to have Mehano in Slovenia produce uniquely Canadian model train sets for them but to also sell these sets only through Canadian grocery stores is something that, perhaps, only a Canadian might understand. In any case, against all odds the madness proved to be genius as the limited edition sets sold out each and every year. Go figure.
The cornerstones of the eleven sets, and, mostly, what makes them so fascinating and collectible, are the locomotives themselves. In almost every case, PC had Mehano create prototypically correct models of legendary locomotives developed by, and of great historical importance to, Canada and her great railroads. These unique and spectacular locomotive models were never offered to, or made available through, any non-Canadian grocery store outlets. Though some of the accompanying consists are also of interest, in reality, these great sets are a bargain even if just for the locomotives alone.
The locomotive included in this set is of particular interest being THE ONLY Camelback ever produced by Mehano with a smoke generator perhaps with good reason. Early prototype stacks melted requiring inclusion of an on-off switch for the smoke generator also a one-of-a-kind feature from Mehano.
Excerpt from Box Text:
"In honor of the 15th anniversary of the Insider's Report, President's Choice pays homage to another great North American tradition: the Camelback Steam Locomotive. Prevalent from the 1850's to the early 1900s, these mighty haulers were to transport American iron ore into Canada and Canadian timber to the U.S., contributing to the growth of trade between two developing sovereign nations. Camelbacks made regular north-south runs on the Delaware & Hudson railroad and precipitated the expansion of international railroad lines, including the Lake Louis & Province and the Montreal & Lachine.
The unique design of the Camelback engine (also known as "mother Hubbard") was the direct result of the special requirements of the hard coal fuel they utilized. Large volumes of air were required to produce efficient combustion, necessitating unusually large fireboxes and a center cab position.
Modeled after this original trailblazer, this faithful reproduction of this vintage engine is painstakingly detailed. The locomotive has a functioning smokestack with an on/off switch to enable operation of the engine with or without smoke. Authentically styled cars included in the set are: tank car, cattle car, ventilated fresh produce car, skeleton log car with real timber logs secured with metal chains and a commemorative caboose, decorated with our unique markings. This set is available as a limited edition only to enhance its collection value.
Compatible with all HO scale model electric train sets, including our entire PC Collector's Series range, the PC Camelback Express Train Set is a welcome addition to your collection, or the perfect gift for any train lover."
Canadian Pacific Railways 2-6-0 Camelback locomotive, Road Number 785
- Factory Sealed Set in C-9 Mint Condition.
- Engine weight: 264g (9.3 ounces)
- Power pickup from locomotive and tender car
- Operating locomotive headlight
- Functioning smoke generator in locomotive's smokestack, Includes on/off switch. Note: shipped in "off" position
- Heavy duty can motor
- Intricately matched smooth running gear transmission
- Functional nickel-plated coined brass driving rods
- Metal boiler hand railings
- Metal coupler lift bar on loco pilot deck and rear of tender
- Gold colored die cast metal bell
- Talgo mounted coupler on tender
- Pinstriped driving wheel spokes
- Authentically detailed, painted and lettered with unique collector's quality markings
- Will operate on 46cm (18in) radius oval track layout
- Uniquely designer collector's quality 2-6-0 Camelback steam locomotive with functioning smoke generator
- 3ml vial of smoke fluid to fuel smoke generator
- Tender car with power pickup
- Log Car with genuine timber logs
- Cattle Car with operating sliding doors double decker CP 470
- Ventilation Car with operating sliding doors CP 1928
- Tanker Car CP 6
- Drover's Caboose with specialty collector's graphics, commemorating the Insider's Report 15th anniversary
- Quality brass track for oval layout
- Track layout instructions
- CSA-aproved power pack with coecting wires
- Assembly and operation instructions
- Limited warranty
- TCS T1 Standard DCC Decoder Installed.
- TCS T1KA Standard DCC Decoder w/Keep Alive Installed
- TCS WOWSound 101 DCC/Sound Decoder Installed.
- TCS WOWSound 101KA DCC/Sound Decoder w/Keep Alive Installed.
- Engineer Figure Installed in Cab.
- Upgrade locomotive and all cars to Knuckle Couplers.
HO Scale 1:87
*By selecting ANY of these Options you are acknowledging that you WILL NOT receive this product in sealed condition. Also, by selecting ANY of these Options this product will be certified according to the MRRHQ Certification Process at no additional charge.