FACTORY SEALED 1997 President's Choice 4-8-2 Mountain Express Limited Edition Train Set HO Scale
1997 President's Choice 4-8-2 Mountain Express Limited Edition Train Set
Sold only in Canadian grocery stores, the eleven Limited Edition HO Scale Train Sets introduced by the President's Choice Company each Christmas from 1992 through 2005 (they skipped a couple of years) are some of the most rare and intriguing ever offered. President's Choice was, and is to this day, the supplier of a full line of private label President's Choice (PC) products to many grocery stores throughout the Western, Central and Atlantic Regions of Canada. What madness prompted PC not only to have Mehano in Slovenia produce uniquely Canadian model train sets for them but to also sell these sets only through Canadian grocery stores is something that, perhaps, only a Canadian might understand. In any case, against all odds the madness proved to be genius as the limited edition sets sold out each and every year. Go figure.
The cornerstones of the eleven sets, and, mostly, what makes them so fascinating and collectible, are the locomotives themselves. In almost every case, PC had Mehano create prototypically correct models of legendary locomotives developed by, and of great historical importance to, Canada and her great railroads. These unique and spectacular locomotive models were never offered to, or made available through, any non-Canadian grocery store outlets. Though some of the accompanying consists are also of interest, in reality, these great sets are a bargain even if just for the locomotive alone.
Excerpt from Box Text:
"This collector's quality HO scale train set celebrates the end of an era: the C.N. #6043 engine made its last scheduled steam-powered run in commercial service on April 25, 1960, from The Pas to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
A veritable workhouse in its 33 years of service, the 4-8-2 Mountain type locomotive was an improvement on its predecessor, the 4-6-2 Pacific steam engine. Ten U-1-d locomotives in total were built for Canadian National Railways to serve the Western region.
This mighty hauler was especially designed and proportioned for heavy service, accommodating both freight and passenger loads over mountainous regions before and during the transitional period between steam and diesel power.
Modeled after the original reliable powerhouse, our faithful reproduction of this vintage engine is intricately detailed and accurately appointed. Equipped with authentically styled ore cars and a uniquely designed caboose, the set is available as a limited edition only, to enhance it's collection value
Compatible with all HO scale model electric train sets with standard tracks, including our entire PC Collector's Series range, the PC 4-8-2 Mountain Express Train Set is a welcome addition to your collection, or the perfect gift for any train lover."
Canadian National Railways 4-8-2 Mountain-type steam locomotive, Class U-1-d, Road Number 6043
- Factory Sealed C-9 Mint Condition.
- Engine weight: 22 ounces (624 g)
- Power pickup from tender car.
- Quick-disconnecting electrical plug and socket between engine and tender.
- Operating locomotive headlight and automatic backup light on tender.
- Heavy duty can motor.
- Precision machined coated brass flywheel.
- Helical matched gears.
- Functional nickel-plated coined brass driving rods and valve gear.
- Metal boiler hand railings.
- Metal coupler lift bar on loco pilot deck and rear of tender car.
- Metal hand rails on locomotive cab, tender ends and cistern roof.
- Body mounted universal coupler draft box w/NMRA Coupler.
- White wall wheels.
- Authentically detailed, painted and lettered in railroad colors.
- Will operate on 18 in (46cm) radius track layout.
- 5 individually numbered ore cars.
- NMRA Horn Hook couplers
- 1 Drover's Caboose with specialty collector's graphics.
- Quality brass track for oval layout.
- Track layout instructions.
- CSA-approved power pack with connecting wires.
- Assembly and operation instructions.
- TCS T1 Standard DCC Decoder Installed.
- TCS T1KA Standard DCC Decoder with Keep Alive Installed.
- TCS WOWSound 101 DCC/Sound Decoder Installed.
- TCS WOWSound 101KA DCC/Sound Decoder with Keep Alive Installed.
- Engineer Figure Installed in Cab.
- Upgrade locomotive and all cars to Knuckle Couplers.
HO Scale 1:87
*By selecting ANY of these Options you are acknowledging that you WILL NOT receive this product in sealed condition. Also, by selecting ANY of these Options this product will be certified according to the MRRHQ Certification Process at no additional charge.
Questions? Need advice? The modelers from MRRHQ are ready to help 24/7 @970-988-2866 or email us